Now that I’ve posted my reviews for all the movies I saw in theaters last year, I thought I’d make a list of my 10 favorite films from 2014. Now these might not necessarily be the best films from 2014, these are just the 10 films that I found most entertaining and would recommend the most.
Let me know if you disagree with my rankings and why.
Top 10 Films in 2014
1. Guardians of the Galaxy – Hands down my favorite movie from 2014. Guardians had it all, great action, great drama, & hilarious comedy. There were a few things I would have changed but it’s about as close to a perfect summer blockbuster as it gets.
2. The LEGO Movie – My favorite animated movie from 2014. The LEGO Movie brought me great memories from my childhood. The film had an amazing cast of voice actors that gave life to a bunch of charming and loveable characters. The film’s story was very original and entertaining, the plot twists were great as well.
3. Big Hero 6 – Right up there with the LEGO Movie in terms of entertainment value. Big Hero 6 deals with a few more serious topics, but has a perfect balance of action, drama & comedy. The story was very unique aswell, and Bemax is one of my favorite film characters of the year.
4. Interstellar – Christopher Nolan’s latest movie didn’t quite live up to expectations but I still think it was one of the best movies of the year. The use of science and space travel in the film is 2nd to none. The movies themes were also very relate able, there were more than a few heart wrenching moments in the movie.
5. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 – The latest film in the Hunger Games saga was my favorite of the three. It didn’t focus on the hunger games as much as it did on the word that the characters live in, and how it came to be that way. The film is really the first part of a story but the movie is good enough to stand up on its own. One of the best action movies of the year.
6. John Wick – Without a doubt the best choreographed movie of the year. The action and fighting sequences were second to none. This was your prototypical action movie and it did everything right. The plot was simple but effective, it was a non stop roller coaster ride of entertainment. Now if only they had done something about those colored subtitles.
7. Edge of Tomorrow – One of the most underrated movies of the year. I thought Edge of Tomorrow was very creative and unique. I described it as a bled of groundhog day and independence day and I think its better than both of those movies. Tom Cruise did what he does best and Emily Blunt was amazing as usual.
8. Neighbors – My favorite comedy of the year (right up there with 22 Jump Street). Neighbors was simple yet hilarious. The story wasn’t too complex but it hit all the right notes. The chemistry between all the characters was great and it had some of the funnies fighting scenes I have ever seen.
9. Fury – The WWII drama was hard to watch, but it was still an excellently made movie that accurately portrayed the horror of war. The characters felt real and unique in their own way. The most realistic battle sequences in any war movie since Saving Private Ryan.
10. Nightcrawler – A very suspenseful and heart pounding thriller. The movie explores some very interesting issues about the media and Jake Gylenhaal delivers an award winning performance as a true sociopath.
Its hard to take all the movies I saw in a year and make a list of just 10 so here are some of my other favorite films of 2014:
The Maze Runner, Gone Girl, Lone Survivor, 22 Jump Street, Horrible Bosses 2, Snowpiercer, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Need for Speed, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, & Her (technicaly came out in 2013, but I saw it in 2014).